2017-09-28 / Living

Flushing United Methodist Church is celebrating 175 years in October

By Sam Tunningley

The Flushing United Methodist Church, located at 413 E. Main St., is commemorating 175 years in the city with a free celebration on October 8. The entire community is invited to join the activities.

The day will begin with two church services (8:45 and 11:15 a.m.), with a coffee hour in between from 10 to 11 a.m. Following the services, the church is offering a birthday cake for all attendees from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.

Other activities begin at 1 p.m. and include bobbing for apples, sack races, a pumpkin race and a beanbag toss. Entertainment, including music and socializing, will take place at 6:30 p.m. until the end of the event.

The first Flushing United Methodist Church was established in 1842 as part of the Flint River Circuit on property owned by James Seymour, but a fire in January of 1883 left its first establishment in ruins. A new church was built in 1884 and membership continued to increase through the decades, according the history section found on the church’s website.

The church was rebuilt again in the 1970s and underwent a series of changes including “additions of staff, facility improvements and new ministries.”

Beginning in 2004, the church moved toward a more “hands-on” approach in its teachings, and started to incorporate contemporary Christian music. The website states “The Christian Education ministry has grown in attendance and adult offerings with the Small Group Communities starting and remaining consistent.” The two worship times have remained a constant since the 1990s: traditional service at 8:45 a.m., contemporary at 11:15 a.m. and Sunday School at 10 a.m.

To find out more information on Flushing United Methodist Church, including a more comprehensive history of its role in the community, visit flushingumc.org/

Return to top

Click here for digital edition
2017-09-28 digital edition